Are you looking for a job? Do you plan to get a job in the comfort of your home? Here is the top list of Pros and Cons of Work From Home setup you might want to consider.
Work From Home Setup Benefits
The following is the list of advantages you will enjoy for a Work-From-Home setup in the Philippines.
- Convenience – Who doesn’t want to work in the comfort of your home? Working inside a literal comfort zone offers numerously favorable convenience on your part.
- Independence – Afraid of going to your work? No doubt, it’s because you have an Ergophobia or fear of work. If you suffer this kind of abnormal anxiety that directly affects your social relationships with your employer and co-employees inside your working environment, then a work-from-home setup might be the only way out.
- Time-Saving – You no longer need to spent so much time in traffic every day. In favor, you will have enough time to slow down for your family, leisure, and complete 8-hour rest. Work-related burn-out will be lessened or prevented since you have a work-life balance. Save time, save money.
- Safety during a pandemic – How can you assure that the co-employees within your working facility are free of the deadly virus? If you are working from home, you don’t have to risk yourself and your family’s health for the possibility of getting CoVid 19. You are now exempted from the hassle of crossing borders and following the strict community quarantine rules.
Work From Home Setup Downsides
- Resources Investment – Having your own office inside your house is achievable if you have sufficient funds to invest. Of course, not all companies can provide office equipment and supplies for every employee. You need to purchase a high-end computer, multi-purpose printer, desk, ergonomic chair, office supplies such as paper, inks, etc. Name it! A number of companies also require you to have a backup power generator set in case of a power outage.
- Noise Pollution – In my opinion, the quietest place to live is inside an exclusive subdivision wherein the law against noise and disturbance is applied by the homeowners. How about the ordinary Juans’ who cannot afford to live inside a subdivision? Well, the local government no longer needed to pass a local ordinance in order to have a peaceful and noise-free community. This is because of an existing Civil law stated in Republic Act No. 386, Article 26 and 682. Yet, this is a tremendously long way in contrast to reality. All types of disturbances caused by unpleasant noise are present in most of the community every night and day. Few examples are dog barks, the rooster crows, loud vehicle exhaust, blasting construction pieces of equipment, rowdy speakers, and tumultuous sounds made by the neighbor.
ARTICLE 26. Every person shall respect the dignity, personality, privacy and peace of mind of his neighbors and other persons. The following and similar acts, though they may not constitute a criminal offense, shall produce a cause of action for damages, prevention and other relief:
(1) Prying into the privacy of another’s residence;
(2) Meddling with or disturbing the private life or family relations of another; dumrrI
(3) Intriguing to cause another to be alienated from his friends;
(4) Vexing or humiliating another on account of his religious beliefs, lowly station in life, place of birth, physical defect, or other personal condition.
ARTICLE 682. Every building or piece of land is subject to the easement which prohibits the proprietor or possessor from committing nuisance through noise, jarring, offensive odor, smoke, heat, dust, water, glare and other causes.
- Behavior & Self Discipline – Having irritated your HR officer who consistently reminds you of the rules? You may now break the company policies during office hours if you are working from home. Nevertheless, you want to maintain your self-discipline and behavior. Working inside your comfort zone might have a few noticeable changes in your behavior. You might not observed but your productivity reduced due to the factors that disturb your focus on your task.
- Unstable/Slow Internet Connection – If you ask an ordinary Juan, Internet Service Provider (ISP) in the Philippines is known to have a slow and unstable internet connection. We can’t deny and prevent it. So if your work requires you a high-speed internet connection, you need to invest in more expensive plans. Several companies also required you to have a backup connection (wired or wireless, depends on the company) in case of an internet outage.
- Less Social Life – Aristotle, a legendary Greek philosopher once said that a Human is by nature, a social animal. In today’s work-from-home environment, social activities are lessened. Employees are forced to communicate digitally, and as I noticed, the more we engaged in socialized virtually, the less we have the capability to interact in reality.
WFH Final Thoughts
No matter how much convenient a work-from-home setup would offer, the fact is it’s not for every Juan. You need to consider numerous factors such as the type of job, capabilities of the company your working at, and your initial investment
It is downhearted to catch sight of our fellow Filipinos who strive to get a job with a work-from-home setup, gets rejected and demoralized due to the lack of funds for the initial investment.
But at the end of the day, the reality of survival is in every Juans’ hand.
Never lose hope. Find ways. Cheers!